“It never rains in California…but girl let me warn ya
It pours, man it pours.”
I always crave soup on a wintery day like today. Here’s a favorite from The Cook’s Encyclopedia of Soup. It can be served “peasant style” as shown in the photo or puréed smooth.
2 pounds leeks
1 pound potatoes
1/2 cup butter
1 large sprig of fresh thyme, plus extra to garnish (optional)
1 1/4 cups milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons heavy cream, to serve
1. Top and tail the leeks. If you are using big winter leeks, strip away all the coarse outer leaves, then cut the leeks into thick slices. Rinse thoroughly under cold water.
2. Cut the potatoes into rough dice, about 1 inch and dry on paper towels.
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the leeks and 1 sprig of thyme, cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until soft. Add the potato pieces and just enough cold water to cover the vegetables. Re-cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
4. Pour in the milk and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes longer. You will find that some of the potato breaks up, leaving you with a semi-puréed and lumpy soup.
5. Remove the sprig of thyme: The leaves will have fallen into the soup. Serve, adding 1 tablespoon cream and a garnish of thyme to each portion, if using.
I’m headed to the kitchen. – Ho l’acquolina in bocca!
*As always, I recommend using the freshest, purest ingredients available: organic, non-gmo…take the time, do your research and support those growers/suppliers/vendors that care about your health and the health of our planet. 🙂
To order this book:
see our new site:
Thanks for the recipe. It is perfect for today as we are in the middle of a major rainstorm here in California! –Delores
Thank you for your comment and for visiting my blog.
Your blog has been on my blogroll a long time, because I think you have an interesting blog. Your thyme soup will certainly warm me up here in the winterland:)
Have a nice week
Looks delicious and hope to try it.
I hope you won't mind that I have tagged you for a Kreativ Blogger award on my most recent post. I received it from Borjana at Green and Stylish, and pass it on to 7 bloggers I admire.